Mishcon de Reya is an independent law firm, which now employs more
than 900 people with over 550 lawyers offering a wide range of legal
services to companies and individuals.
Based in London, the firm services an international community of
clients and provides advice in situations where the constraints of
geography often do not apply. The work it undertakes is cross-border,
multi-jurisdictional and complex, spanning six core practice areas:
Corporate; Dispute Resolution; Employment; Innovation; Private; and
Mishcon de Reya has grown rapidly in recent years, showing more than
70% revenue growth in the past five years alone. In 2015, the firm
moved into a purpose designed building on Kingsway, and has converted
to both an alternative business structure and LLP.
Mishcon de Reya prides itself on the diverse range of people who make
up the firm. The central role played by the Academy, the firm's
in-house place of learning, development and new thinking, and its
active and innovative social impact strategy are reflected in its
Investors in People Platinum standard.
At Mishcon, we are well placed to understand the nexus between the
corporate, business and personal taxation needs of our clients. We
offer high-end strategic tax advice, including VAT, which protects our
clients' interests. We are one of a small number of firms that offers
a tax practice spanning both corporate and personal tax and one of a
smaller number still - arguably the only - high end tax practice that
incorporates litigation capabilities alongside non-contentious advice.
This capability is unmatched by our competitors in both legal and
The Tax Practice recognises the diversity of our client base, as well
as their changing needs, as their personal and business concerns
overlap in a highly scrutinised and regulated environment.
The senior team is supported by lawyers qualified in a variety of
significant tax jurisdictions. Our work involves both UK and
cross-border transactions, international tax planning and tax advisory
practices. We cover all the tax issues that any individuals and
businesses are likely to face; from start-up; VAT; financing; growth
capital; bolt-ons and joint ventures; the realisation and return of
value; to succession and wealth preservation.
Our clients are a mix of ultra-high and high net worth individuals,
institutions, investors, property developers, entrepreneurs, local
authorities and charities. We advise UK and international clients on
both direct and indirect taxes especially stamp duty land tax and VAT.
The group works with a diverse range of institutions, companies and
high net-worth individuals managing and protecting their assets in the
most tax-efficient manner. The role involves collaborative working
with other groups and departments within the Firm. This is an exciting
role and a great opportunity for the right person to stand out and
make a significant contribution to the group.
Responsibilities / Duties
The successful candidate will have an interest in advising on both
personal and corporate tax. They should have experience of the tax
aspects on the following below:
• M&A transactions and the personal tax implications of such transactions
• Corporate Finance
• Property Transactions
The role will involve advising on direct and indirect tax issues,
cross border structuring and strategic advisory work for long
established clients of the firm.
Skills and Experience
• Strong technical knowledge in corporate tax, the individual could
be ex-corporate tax or still in corporate tax, private tax experience
is not essential, but an interest in working with business and
personal tax is required.
• Ideally, the candidate will currently be working in a large or
medium sized commercial law firm in London.
• CTA qualifications is desirable but not essential.
• This is the ideal opportunity for someone who has transactions
experience, but who wants to do more advisory work including:
• Incorporating, structuring and mergers of corporate entities;
• Regulatory issues and related rules and guidance;
• International non-corporate structures and regimes;
• Value added tax as well as employment tax related advice;
• Advice relating to governance of entities; and
• Implementation of the advice.
We are seeking candidates with "hands on" experience who
possess the following skills and attributes:
• Excellent attention to detail.
• Strong organisational and prioritising skills, in order to meet the
demands of challenging and commercial internal and external clients,
as well as dealing with competing priorities.
• Ability to manage own diverse workload.
• High standards of care and service in a professional manner.
• Confident and assertive, with the ability to build good
relationships with clients, partners, fee earners and business operations.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills in order to meet
the drafting and presentation aspects of the role.
• Resilient and calm under pressure.
• The ability to work independently and as part of a team.
• Adaptable, flexible with a common sense approach.
• Proactive and takes initiative.
• Takes responsibility for and attends to self-development.
Please note that this job profile is not an exhaustive list of
duties but merely an outline of the key components of the role. You
may be required by your line manager to take on additional
responsibilities when requested.
We strive to create a fully diverse and inclusive workplace where all
our people are empowered to fulfil their potential. We are proud of
our agile working culture and are always happy to talk flexible working.