Mishcon de Reya is an independent law firm, which now employs more
than 900 people with over 550 lawyers offering a wide range of legal
services to companies and individuals.
Based in London, the firm services an international community of
clients and provides advice in situations where the constraints of
geography often do not apply. The work it undertakes is cross-border,
multi-jurisdictional and complex, spanning six core practice areas:
Corporate; Dispute Resolution; Employment; Intellectual Property;
Private; and Real Estate.
Mishcon de Reya has grown rapidly in recent years, showing more than
70% revenue growth in the past five years alone. In 2015, the firm
moved into a purpose designed building on Kingsway, and has converted
to both an alternative business structure and LLP.
Mishcon de Reya prides itself on the diverse range of people who make
up the firm. The central role played by the Academy, the firm’s
in-house place of learning, development and new thinking, and its
active and innovative social impact strategy are reflected in its
Investors in People Platinum standard.
We have been defending our clients' reputations for decades, both
publicly and discreetly. We have wide expertise in tackling and
preventing unwarranted attacks, including securing injunctions to
prevent the misuse of private information and the spread of fake news,
as well as challenging defamatory content and harassing behaviour, and
defusing personal and corporate disputes.
We are uniquely positioned in the London market as reputation experts
sitting within a full-service law firm, able to collaborate quickly
with our expert colleagues in tax, fraud, family dispute,
investigations and white collar crime, and Cyber investigations,
amongst other disciplines.
We are fast to respond, but we are also keen to pre-empt challenges
before they arise, and to ensure our clients' reputations are
resilient to attack. We know that the best way to build and protect
reputation is to be proactive, to anticipate future challenges and
plan for them intelligently.
We advise and litigate on all aspects of media and communication law,
for both claimants and defendants, including defamation, malicious
falsehood, privacy, blackmail, harassment, reporting restrictions, and
data protection breaches and compliance.
Duties and Responsibilities
The role will involve the following:
• Press/pre-publication enquiries about personal/corporate affairs,
including from NGOs/regulators/other public bodies.
• Online/social media attacks.
• Blackmail and/or threats to release private/confidential
information or threats to publish damaging allegations.
• Obtaining, defending and discharging emergency injunctions.
• Challenging the publication of damaging or private material, both
in the media and in a more limited, private or commercial context.
• Inaccurate KYC/compliance database profiles.
• Content clearance and advice to publishers.
• Reputation audits and strategy.
• Media law training/awareness for journalists and communications professionals.
The ideal candidate will have 1-5 years PQE as a media litigator with
a strong academic background. We are seeking candidates with
"hands on" media litigation, reputation protection and
commercial litigation experience who are comfortable handling the
following with supervision appropriate to their PQE:
• Solid litigation experience in defamation, privacy,
confidentiality, harassment, data protection and similar claims and
familiarity with civil procedure rules and applicable regulatory procedure.
• Media crisis management including responding to media enquiries and
handling of threats.
• Protection of rights and reputation online.
• Complaints to Regulators, including IPSO, Ofcom, ASA, ICO and the
• Supporting clients out of hours and at weekends on occasion,
providing urgent round the-clock advice.
• Negotiating with the media or other interest groups, or to make
emergency injunction applications.
• Supervision of other fee earners.
• Candidates should also be able to demonstrate the ability to
command the trust and confidence of clients who expect a first-class
service, and have experience of working with a variety of clients such
as high profile individuals, corporations, families, family offices
and charities is required.
• Candidates should understand and have experience of dealing with
financial matter planning.
Please note that this job profile is not an exhaustive list of
duties but merely an outline of the key components of the role. You
may be required by your line manager to take on additional
responsibilities when requested.
Diversity & Inclusion lie at the heart of our core values. At
Mishcon de Reya, our aim is to promote and foster a culture which
embraces diversity, respect for the individual and the expression of
talent, to empower individuals to fulfil their, and the firm’s,
potential. In order to support this, we recognise the importance of
flexible and agile working and are open to having conversations on how
this could work for you and our business.