Mishcon de Reya is an independent law firm, which now employs more
than 900 people with over 550 lawyers offering a wide range of legal
services to companies and individuals.
Based in London, the firm services an international community of
clients and provides advice in situations where the constraints of
geography often do not apply. The work it undertakes is cross-border,
multi-jurisdictional and complex, spanning six core practice areas:
Corporate; Dispute Resolution; Employment; Innovation; Private; and
Mishcon de Reya has grown rapidly in recent years, showing more than
70% revenue growth in the past five years alone. In 2015, the firm
moved into a purpose designed building on Kingsway, and has converted
to both an alternative business structure and LLP.
Mishcon de Reya prides itself on the diverse range of people who make
up the firm. The central role played by the Academy, the firm's
in-house place of learning, development and new thinking, and its
active and innovative social impact strategy are reflected in its
Investors in People Platinum standard.
This role will be principally supporting the Employment department,
Betting & Gaming group and Recruitment Services sector.
As a Business Development Manager at Mishcon de Reya LLP, you will
set the agenda for your groups, take the lead on pushing projects
through to successful completion and develop a successful and happy
team around you. You will act as a strategic partner to your groups
and will be responsible for providing and driving high value advice
and initiatives, whilst contributing to the Firm's overall business
You will guide your core teams to find connections with the wider
firm that empower business development at all levels. Flexibility and
team work is a must, as we strive to maintain and build our culture of
Duties and Responsibilities
As a strategic partner to your groups, you will have day to day
contact with a variety of key stakeholders, including Senior Partners
and fee earners and you will need to win their trust in order to make
credible BD proposals. You will manage your team's resources
effectively and will work with them to maintain focus on the areas
that will create the most impact.
The main areas of focus for this role will be to:
• Identify which are the most appropriate clients and intermediaries
for growth (current and past clients as well as future targets), and
develop plans accordingly.
• Identify and develop Practice specific products and services that
can be used to position the Practices competitively.
• Work closely with the Professional Support Lawyers (PSLs), so as to
ensure that all members of the department (and business development)
are aware of key issues and trends in the law.
• Improve the marketing capability of the Practice's lawyers and
raise their awareness of the role that the business development team
can play. Develop/progress client action plans.
• Further develop the Firm's profile through: PR, editorial, thought
leadership market research, select conferences, newsletters and
seminars. This will involve working with our Central BD team and
external PR Agencies.
• Create marketing collateral that furthers the Firm's reputation
(including, but not limited to, PowerPoint presentations, brochures,
client briefings and other client communications).
• Work with members of the department and wider business development
team to produce high quality pitch documents and credential statements.
• Deliver plans within budget and to agreed timings.
• Guide and support the Practice Groups in the preparation of
• Work with our Business Insights team to develop metrics that
measure the effectiveness of all activities.
• Contribute to the business development team
• Strengthen the culture of "one team". Be a mentor and
coach to more junior members of the team. Maintain a positive approach
appropriate to a senior team member.
• Be part of one Firm
•Define and assist in the development of marketing and business
development plans for cross-firm initiatives.
•Use effectively all communication channels for the department/Firm
generally e.g. website, e-bulletins, media, sponsorship, conferences,
and research and industry networks.
We are looking for individuals who are able to act as a true partner
to our business.
Candidates must be able to demonstrate:
• Strategic and creative thinking and strong commercial nous.
• Client development focus in previous roles as well as experience in
pitch/proposal preparation and appropriate coaching to those
• The ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, with
energy, enthusiasm and drive.
• A team-orientated approach, with the ability to demonstrate through
past experience and from interview that they have a strong commercial
and client-led approach to their work.
• A swift, analytical approach to problems.
• Excellent communication skills.
• The ability to build collaborative relationships across the firm.
• Proactivity, reliance and a flexible and calm approach.
Please note that this job profile is not an exhaustive list of
duties but merely an outline of the key components of the role. You
may be required by your line manager to take on additional
responsibilities when requested.
We strive to create a fully diverse and inclusive workplace where all
our people are empowered to fulfil their potential. We are proud of
our agile working culture and are always happy to talk flexible working.